When it comes to the water you drink, it’s dangerous to leave its purity to chance. Sometimes, you never know about the millions of harmful microscopic germs swimming in the water. Or the hundreds of toxic chemical elements throwing a metal party.
Microorganisms, minerals, and some tiny particles are known to pass through ordinary filters. These contaminants could be dangerous to unsuspecting people who drink such water. However, there’s a filter that guarantees the removal of dangerous microorganisms, minerals, and other particles from water. And that’s the reverse osmosis water filter! So, let’s discuss everything you need to know about reverse osmosis!
What Is Reverse Osmosis?
Reverse osmosis, or RO for short, is a filtration process that removes foreign contaminants, minerals, large molecules, and solid substances from water. This unique filtration process occurs when water under high pressure is forced through specialized semi-permeable membranes.
As the name implies, reverse osmosis works on the principle of osmosis – but in a reversed order. To understand the reverse osmosis process, we must first understand how osmosis works. So, what is osmosis? Osmosis is a natural process in every living cell-based organism – humans, plants, and animals. And during osmosis, a dilute solution flows into a more concentrated one through a semipermeable membrane until equilibrium is attained on both sides.
But the principle of reverse osmosis is different. So, how does reverse osmosis work, and how is it different from regular osmosis? Here’s a brief step-by-step analysis:
- Reverse osmosis requires applied external force ( water-pressure) to make it work, unlike osmosis which is a passive process.
- The pressure in reverse osmosis is applied to a solute solution that’s highly concentrated (such as saltwater).
- The highly concentrated solution under pressure is made to pass through a semipermeable membrane.
- Semi-permeable membranes have tiny pores that selectively block out larger molecules (like contaminants) but allow water molecules to flow through them.
- At the end of the RO process, a higher concentration of solute will be on one side, while you’ll have only the solvent (or freshwater) on the other.
How Does A Reverse Osmosis (RO) System Work?
Now that we’ve discussed the principle of reverse osmosis let’s look at how a RO system would work for water purification in your home. A reverse osmosis water filter system can help remove impurities, minerals, molecules, and other substances from the water running throughout your home. At the end of the filtration process, you’ll have water free of up to 99% contaminants depending on the RO system’s efficiency. We’ll talk more about that in a bit.
To help you better understand the process, here are the significant steps of water purification when you use a reverse osmosis filter system.
- Reverse osmosis
A reverse osmosis system goes through these major purification steps to ensure that only super clean water leaves the tank. And yes, that's how the l Aquasure Premier Pro RO Reverse Osmosis Water Filter System works. Let’s discuss each of these water filtration steps in detail.
Step 1: Pre-Filtration
The first step is the pre-filtration step. Here, you have a cold-water line valve fitted to your home’s water supply. Then a tube with a high-pressure pump propels the cold water to the RO system. The filters in this stage are usually carbon-based, and they trap sediments and mineral deposits. Simply put, at the pre-filtration stage, solid materials such as dirt, rust, and silt are removed from the water. The pre-filtration stage prevents large debris from clogging the finer, more delicate RO filters.
Step 2: Reverse Osmosis
This stage is where real reverse osmosis begins. And depending on the RO system in question, it goes through several filtration stages. The RO membrane and carbon filters are the barriers used here. The feed water is propelled through these semi-permeable membranes and removes chlorine and other elements that can affect the water’s color. At the end of this stage, your water will appear clear and will taste just about pure.
Step 3: Drainage
In this step, The RO system drains out the other contaminants that the RO filters missed in the prior filtration stages. This filtration stage is essential because there are many other chemicals apart from chlorine that can affect your health and impact your water’s taste. These chemicals include lead, fluoride, chromium, and a host of others. A four-stage RO system will remove these other elements from your water.
Step 4: Storage
In this step, the system stores treated water in a small tank until the time for use.
Is it Safe to Drink RO Water?
So, is it safe to drink RO water? First, let’s consider how efficient filters can be. To give you an idea of how tiny reverse osmosis membranes are, a strand of human hair is about 100 microns wide. But with the Aquasure Reverse Osmosis System, the membrane spaces are as small as one micron!
A highly efficient RO system can remove up to ninety-nine percent of dissolved contaminants from feed water. Common water contaminants removed by reverse osmosis include organic bacteria, particles, salts, colloids, pyrogens, minerals, and lots more. Therefore, you should drink only healthy, pure water. RO water is one of the healthiest and safest choices for you and your family.
What’s the Best RO System for You?
Ideally, you need a highly efficient reverse osmosis system that can serve your home – irrespective of its size. Also, whatever system you choose should guarantee the removal of at least 99% of contaminants from your water. The design should also be compact and fit seamlessly into your home. It should fit your home’s needs and come with a good warranty of at least two years.
Why Choose the Aquasure Premier Pro RO Filter System?
The Aquasure Premier Pro RO Undersink Water Filter system is by far one of the best RO systems on the market. Here’s why this might be your best bet when it comes to getting excellent RO water.
- Removes up to 99% of contaminants, including arsenic, bacteria, cysts, chlorine, fluoride, heavy metals, lead, viruses, herbicides and pesticides, etc.
- It converts the dirtiest of water sources into clean and pure, contaminant-free water. You no longer have to worry about how healthy your water is!
- Designed with the highest performance in mind with super high flow 100 GPD encapsulated RO membrane that produces healthy, clean, refreshingly crisp tasting water.
- It comes with the FLOWLOK leak prevention system and SHOKBLOK filter protection valves to protect against pressure spikes and water hammers. Yes, leaks and plumbing damage will become things of the past!
- Easy to install. It comes with clearly written instructions, video installation tutorials, and outstanding US-based customer support to ensure that once your package arrives, you can get it up and running quickly.
- 3-year warranty and full lifetime technical support
- Tap into a team of industry experts with over 25 years of experience in the water industry.
Reverse osmosis has indeed revolutionized the water industry. With a RO system, you have one less thing to worry about. The Aquasure team ensures the longevity of your RO system by helping you with the best maintenance tips as well as any support questions you may have.